It’s the time of year when, come Monday, there’s a half of a watermelon giving me the eye when I open the fridge. I know the chances of eating it are slim, but with five minutes’ work I can be on the porch sipping something perfect.
I like to make this in a mason jar, which doubles as the shaker. Gets me on the porch faster with less to clean!
Watermelon Lime and Tequila Refresco
Take that watermelon and scoop it into a blender. Blend until liquid, and strain through a coarse strainer. A half of a 12-inch diameter melon should yield 6 cups or so of juice.
Fill a 2-cup mason jar with ice. Add:
- 1 1/2 ounces of silver tequila,
- 3/4 ounces of lime juice (I find the Santa Cruz Organic bottled is a fantastic sub for hand-squeezed in cocktails), and
- 4 1/2 ounces of watermelon juice.
Put the lid on the jar and shake until the jar feels quite cold.
Head to the porch and put your feet up!
Expecting company? Make a batch to serve 4 ahead of time:
- 3/4 cup of silver tequila,
- A little more than 1/3 cup lime juice, and
- 2 1/4 cups of watermelon juice.
Next question: will it freeze? Stay tuned!